4 May, 2014
Tres de Mayo – Ole! [Sangria and Margaritas]Posted in : Holiday, Recipes on by : jailavie
Last Saturday I had a “tres de mayo” party with some friends who came from out of town. Of course I love an excuse to cook for a crowd, so I started bookmarking recipes with a “Mexican” theme.My friend brought the taco dip, and for the rest of the meal, I wanted to get crafty. Here’s the menu:
- Margarita (recipe below)
- Sangria (recipe below)
- Beer (obviously)
- Crockpot Cheddar Beer Chicken Tacos from How Sweet It Is
- Southwest Black Bean Salad adapted from SkinnyTaste
- Espresso Caramel Bars from Giada de Laurentiis (of course)
- Grandma’s Rice Pudding from Grandma Travis 🙂
If I can say so myself, everything was a hit – a successful menu!
And to share some original recipes, here’s how I make my summer cocktails – Red Sangria and Margaritas!
- 1/4 cup triple sec
- 1 apple, diced
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 bottle of red wine
- 1 liter of Sprite (or any lemon-lime soda), chilled
- Chop fruit to desired size and place in a glass pitcher with triple sec. Let sit for about 1/2 hour so that the fruit can absorb the liqueur. Add juice, wine and sprite; stir.
- Refrigerate before serving or serve with ice.
- 1 oz. lime juice
- 1 oz. tequila
- 1/2 oz. triple sec
- 1/2 oz. orange juice
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- Combine all ingredients into a shaker with ice. Serve over ice if desired and add optional rim of salt.
- Adapt to the number of servings you need by 2 parts lime juice and tequila, 1 part everything else.