7 March, 2016
Vegan Sweet Potato Chili
While in the past I’ve posted recipes for some hearty, meaty chili, sometimes I like to freshen it up with a pot full of veggies. It’s extra healthy but still has the delicious chili spices that we love to smell simmering on a Sunday afternoon.
There are lots of recipes floating around for vegan chili, and this has been a combination of my favorites. I use sweet potato instead of meat, so it provides a hearty base. And it’s packed with nutrients!
If you’re not actually vegan, like me, it is also excellent topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream! (I know, a vegan nightmare!) 😉
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 closed garlic, minced
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 Tbs chili powder
- 1 Tbs cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 can (13 oz) chopped tomatoes (not drained)
- 1 can (13 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15.5 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (15.5 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 oz frozen corn
- Sautee onion, garlic, and sweet potatoes in olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Once onions start to turn translucent, add bell pepper. Cook for one minute more and then add all spices, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Let simmer on low for 30 minutes.
- Taste and add more spices if necessary. Add beans and corn. Cook for 30 minutes more.
- Serve with diced avocado.